Architect. Welch graduated from the School of Architecture at Columbia College in 1890, and later studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Welch practiced independently and as a member of Welch, Smith & Provot.
Architectural plans and renderings of Welch's designs, largely New York City residences, circa 1890s-1920s; specifications; photographs; and brochures advertising buildings at 787 Fifth Ave., 628 Fifth Ave., and 71 and 73 Murray Street, in New York City. Drawings and a sketchbook done by Welch while a student; fourteen notebooks containing Welch's notes from Columbia classes in architecture, 1888-1890; licenses to practice in New York and New Jersey, 1904-1923; a certificate, 1937, and related correspondence relating to Welch's appointment as a U.S. delegate to the fourteenth International Congress of Architects, held in Paris, July 18-25, 1937. A list of U.S. delegates is included. Of note are drawings and papers for the restoration of the Dyckman House, an 18th century farmhouse in upper Manhattan (1910-1917); and the Mrs. Rutherford Stuyvesant Estate in Allamuchy, New Jersey, and the Rutherford Stuyvesant Momument in Tranquility Cemetery, Tranquility, New Jersey, designed by sculptor Daniel Chester French.