Frederick Clarke Withers architectural drawings and papers, circa 1852-1890
Architect. Withers was born in England and emigrated to the United States in 1852.
Inventory available in the Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library.
Included are ten original architectural drawings and photographs and prints of drawings by Withers. Among these are designs for the Van Schaick Free Reading Room (now the Huntington Free Library and Reading Room), Bronx, N.Y.; reredos proposed for the Church of the Transfiguration, New York City; Chapel of the Good Shepherd on Blackwells Island (now Roosevelt Island), N.Y.; a competition design for the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York City; and drawings by others, including Sullivan Jones and Rowland Plumbe. This collection also includes manuscript copies of three letters from Withers to his mother written at sea in 1852 and describing his trip to America.
This collection is available for use by qualified readers by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email email@example.com.