Source

Guastavino Fireproof Construction Company architectural records

Title
Guastavino Fireproof Construction Company architectural records, 1866-1985 (bulk, 1890-1942).
Description
Papers: 40.1 linear ft.
Architectural drawings: 2,652 sheets.
Material samples: 46 items.
Abstract
Rafael Guastavino (1842-1908) was an architect and a builder. Born in Valencia, he studied architecture in Barcelona and built his first house in 1866. For the next 14 years, he established his reputation for fireproof construction and built factories, warehouses, and apartment houses in the Barcelona area. In 1881, he emigrated to the U.S. with his son, Rafael Jr. (1872-1950). They settled in New York City, and gained success as contractor and builder with their patented tile vaulting system. (The Guastavinos held 24 patents on their vaulting processes.) In July of 1889, they established The Guastavino Fireproof Construction Company, and in 1897, the R. Guastavino Company. In 1908, at the time of his father's death, Rafael Jr. assumed control of the Company. At the height of its expansion, the firm maintained offices in New York, Boston, Providence, Chicago, and Milwaukee, including a manufacturing plant in Woburn, Mass. In 1943, Rafael Jr. sold the Company to Malcolm S. Blodgett, who was the treasurer and business partner of the Guastavinos, succeeding his father, William E. Blodgett. The Company's last project was in 1962. During its existence, their unique vaulting system was used in more than 1,000 buildings, many of them landmarks, in the U.S. and as far away as India. Other key members of the Company include: Foster M. Summerville; A.M. Bartlett; and Kenneth Williams.
Arrangement
Organized into six series: I. Architectural Drawings; II. Administrative and Technical Records; III. Project Files; IV: Factory Orders; V. Slides; VI. Sample Products and Fragments.
Finding Aid
Finding aid is available online. See Online Link.
Summary
Architectural drawings, correspondence, specifications, contracts, invoices, minutes, financial statements, patents, advertisements, photographs, photograph album, test results and reports, memoranda, tile samples, factory order cards, and other materials pertaining to The Guastavino Fireproof Construction Company's projects. The dates of the materials span 1866-1985, with bulk dates 1890-1942. The architectural records include structural, decorative, and acoustical sample products and fragments. Also included are materials added to the files by George Collins (1917-1993), Professor of Art History at Columbia University. Prof. Collins secured the donation of this archive in 1963, and remained its custodian until it was transferred to the Drawings and Archives Collection at the Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, in 1988. The records document Prof. Collins' research efforts, as well as the Company's projects in forty states (including District of Columbia), four Canadian provinces, and eleven other foreign countries. The highest concentration of its projects is in New York City, and in the Eastern region of the U.S.
The list of projects include: Army War College and the National Shrine of Immaculate Conception, Washington, D.C.; Boston Public Library, Boston, Mass.; Baltimore Union Station, Baltimore, Md.; Nebraska State Capitol, Lincoln, Neb.; Grand Central Terminal and Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York, N.Y.; G.W. Vanderbilt residence, Biltmore, N.C.; and B'nai Israel Synagogue and Carnegie Institute of Technology, Pittsburgh, Penn. The list of architects who hired the Company include: McKim, Mead & White; Benjamin Wistar Morris; Bertram G. Goodhue; John Russell Pope; Carrere & Hastings; Delano & Aldrich; Warren & Wetmore; York & Sawyer; Cass Gilbert; Cram and Ferguson; and Heins and LaFarge. The drawings in the collection consist of pencil and ink drawings, blueprints, blueline prints, sketches, and watercolors drawn and reproduced by the Company, architects and other contractors. The drawings include plans, elevations, sections, and details in full-scale of 698 projects and technical records. The dates of the drawings span 1886-1964, and the bulk dates are 1899-1936. These drawings are cataloged separately in this online catalog. Their accession/call numbers are 1963.002.00001 through .02652.
Restrictions
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email avery-drawings@libraries.columbia.edu.
Columbia University is providing access to the materials in the Library's collections solely for noncommercial educational and research purposes. The unauthorized use, including, but not limited to, publication of the materials without the prior written permission of Columbia University is strictly prohibited. All inquiries regarding permission to publish should be submitted in writing to the Director, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. In addition to permission from Columbia University, permission of the copyright owner (if not Columbia University) and/or any holder of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) may also be required for reproduction, publication, distributions, and other uses. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of any item and securing any necessary permissions rests with the persons desiring to publish the item. Columbia University makes no warranties as to the accuracy of the materials or their fitness for a particular purpose.
Notes
This is the collection-level record for which 700 associated project-level records were created to describe projects with architectural drawings. See summary note (field 520) for record ID numbers and other related information.
Publications: 1) Collins, George R. "The Transfer of Thin Masonry Vaulting from Spain to America," Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 27 (October 1968), 176-201. 2) Guastavino, Rafael. Essay on the Theory and History of Cohesive construction (Boston: Ticknor, 1892).
Cite As
The Guastavino Fireproof Construction Company/George Collins architectural records and drawings, Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.
Format
Manuscript Manuscript/Archive
Available from:
Online
Loading holdings. Ajax-indicator
Unable to load. Retry?
Hathi Trust