Rosemary Park served as President of Barnard College from 1962-1967. An educator and administrator, she held a Ph.D. in German from the University of Cologne. Prior to her arrival at Barnard, she was taught at Connecticut College (1935-1947), becoming academic dean and President (1947-1962). Under Park, Barnard greatly expanded classroom and student residential space; including the Millicent McIntosh Center (1969), Plimpton Hall (1968) and Helen Goodhart Hall (1969). She expanded the Barnard alumnae-student network in response to women's changing social roles in the 1960's. She married Michael Anastos, Professor of Byzantine history at UCLA in 1965 and moved to Los Angeles to join him. At UCLA she was named vice chancellor of educational planning and programs, then vice chancellor for student and curricular affairs. She also taught courses on education and became professor emeritus in 1974. Park held honorary degrees from 25 universities and colleges and was a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. She was presented with the Barnard Medal of Distinction in 1995.
Correspondence and memoranda, 1960-1979, relating primarily to Barnard matters, including her appointment as president; typescripts, reprints, and clippings of addresses, with related notes, 1962-1967, delivered to Barnard and other academic groups; and clippings and reprints of articles, 1950s-1960s. Also, reports, 1957-1960, written while she was President of Connecticut College.
Photocopies and other reproductions may be purchased at cost.