Cornelia Hull was born in Chataqua County, N.Y in 1904. She was the first woman graduate of the Chataqua Institution. In 1921 she won a scholarship and enrolled in Barnard. After graduating with honors, she began studies at in Columbia University's medical school. Her studies were interrupted by the Great Depression and she travelled to Galveston, Tex. where she had been offered a job as instructor at the University of Texas Medical School. There she met and married Harmon Hull. They moved to Waupun, Wis. where Dr. Hull opened a medical practice. In Wisconsin, in the late 1930's Mrs. Hull became involved with improving conditions for migrant workers and their children. she helped open a bilingual school, started health and housing programs and opened the local swimming pool to migrant families. She served on the Wisconsin Governor's Commission on Human Rights under four governors. She was honored by Waupun as a person who "changed the thinking of the city." The Hulls retired to Santa Fe, N.M. where they helped found the United Church of Santa Fe, a branch of the United Church of Christ. They were also instrumental in establishing the local chapter of Habitat for Humanity, the Santa Fe Are Farmers' Market the Family Center at the state penitentiary and St. Elizabeth's Shelter. In 1988 they were honored as Santa Fe Living Treasures. After Harmon Hull's death, Cornelia Loomis Hull remained active in church and community affairs, most notably as a proponent of her churches support of gays and lesbians. She had four sons. She died in 2001.
Contains an autobiographical essay relating to her early life and experiences at Barnard, reprints of her letters home from Barnard (1922-1925) and memorabilia such as Greek Games, concert and theatrical programs for events during her enrollment at Barnard and baccalaureate and commencement exercises programs for 1925.
Access to material dated 50 years or less prior to current date is restricted.
Photocopies and other reproductions may be purchased at cost.
Cornelia Loomis Hull Papers, 1922-1925, Barnard College Archives.