Institute of International Education, Kaufmann Conference Rooms architectural drawings and papers, 1961-1966.
1 linear foot ( 2 boxes)
.5 linear feet papers
In 1961, noted American architectural patron, curator and critic Edgar J. Kaufmann, Jr. commissioned noted Finnish architect Alvar Aalto and his wife, architect Elissa Aalto, to design a suite of meeting areas on the 12th floor of the Institute of International Education's headquarters in New York City. Construction began in 1963 and was completed by 1966. Still extant, the Kaufmann Conference Rooms are among only four works completed by Aalto in the United States.
This collection is organized in two series: Papers and Architectural Drawings.
This collection contains original and reprographic correspondence, financial papers, black and white photographs, and reprographic architectural drawings relating to the commissioning, design, and construction of the Kaufmann Conference Rooms in the Institute of International Education's headquarters in New York City, N.Y., between 1961 and 1966.
This collection is available for use by qualified readers by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Permission to publish must be obtained in writing from the Director, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, 1172 Amsterdam Ave., MC 0301, New York, NY 10027.
Gift of Edgar J. Kaufmann, Jr.
Institute of International Education, Kaufmann Conference Rooms architectural drawings and papers. Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library. Columbia University, New York, NY.