Louis L. and Nettie S. Horch Papers, circa 1920s-1960s
3 linear feet of papers : (3 archives boxes)
Mr. and Mrs. Horch financed and directed the Master Institute of United Arts, a New York City-based insitution that taught the fine and dramatic arts that was founded by Nicholas Roerich in 1921. For much of its existence, the Master Institute was housed in the Master Apartments, designed by Harvery Wiley Corbett in 1929 for Roerich and built on the site of the former Horch mansion at 310 Riverside Dr. in New York City. After ligitgation in 1938, the Horches took ownership of the building. They were also closely associated with the Bloomingdale Neighborhood Conservation Association, an cooperative partnership between the City of New York and private citizens to improve the housing and social conditions of residents of the Bloomingdale neighborhood in New York City.
This collection includes office papers and reference papers related to the professional and civic activities of Louis L. and Nettie S. Horch, the Master Institute of United Arts, the Master Apartments, and the Bloomingdale Neighborhood Conservation Association.
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email email@example.com.
This collection was donated by Oriole Feshback in 1986 (accession number 1986.005)