Edward Tuckerman Potter was born on September 25, 1831 in Schenectady, New York. He was the son of Bishop Alonzo Potter. Potter was a 1853 graduate of Union College in Schenectady. After his graduation, he studied architecture under Richard Upjohn and eventually worked for Upjohn from 1854 to 1856. After leaving Upjohn, Potter opened his own practice in Schenectady. An ecclesiastical specialist, Potter designed churches, particularly Episcopalian churches, in New York, New England, Florida, and other regions of the country.
Finding aid available online. See Online Link.
The collection is made up of correspondence, photographs, ephemera, Potter's musical compositions, some architectural sketches and project records. The projects include residences as well as St. John's Cathedral in Jacksonville, Florida and The First Dutch Reform Church in Schenectady, NY.
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Permission to publish must be obtained in writing from the Director, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, 1172 Amsterdam Ave., MC 0301, New York, NY 10027.