Henry Ives Cobb, born in Brookline, Massachusetts, was a Chicago-based architect known for his willingness to design in different styles, from the Beaux Arts to Romanesque Revival to Victoria Gothic. Cobb, along with Charles S. Frost, opened Cobb & Frost in 1882, where they designed many buildings now in the National Register of Historic Places, including Potter Palmer's residence, the Chicago Opera House, and the Dearborn Observatory. Cobb & Frost was dissolved in 1989 when some of Cobb's best known buildings were made, including the Newberry Library, The Fisheries Building from the World's Columbian Exposition, and the Chicago Post Office and Federal Building. Cobb moved to New York in 1902, where he stayed for the remainder of his life.
Collection is made up of a scrapbook containing 2 pencil on trace sketches, newspaper clippings, and clippings from House and Gardens Magazine (ca 1922) relating to various residences not associated with the architect; 2 diplomas, one from the State Board of Examiners of Architects, Cook County, Chicago (1897) and the other from University of the State of New York State Board for the Registration of Architects (1916); 28 watercolor paintings (ca. 1907) depicting various locations in Europe, including Paris, Florence, Vevay, Versailles, and Venice; 34 pencil drawings of Beaux Art buildings, including residences designed by the architect and illustrations for Good Housekeeping Magazine; and photographs of Salisbury and Winchester Cathedrals, which do not appear to have been taken by the architect.
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Permission to publish must be obtained in writing from the Director, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, 1172 Amsterdam Ave., MC 0301, New York, NY 10027.