Richard H. Dana photograph collection, ca. 1920-1931.
342 photographs (in 4 oversize boxes)
Richard Henry Dana was born in Cambridge, MA in 1879. Dana, the grandson of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, was a graduate of Harvard (1901) and Columbia University (1904). He also studied for two years at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. On his return to New York in 1906 he found employment in the offices of the architectural firm of Delano & Aldrich as a draughtsman, and in 1908 was employed by the architect Welles Bosworth. In 1908 he formed a partnership with Henry Killam Murphy (Murphy & Dana), which lasted for twelve years until 1920. After 1920, Dana maintained a private practice in New York City. Also, from 1908-1916 Dana was a visiting lecturer to the School of Architecture at Yale University. He was also an active member of the American Institute of Architects, Architectural League of New York, and the Society of Beaux-Arts Architects. Dana died in New York on November 29, 1933.
Finding aid available online. See Online Link.
The Richard H. Dana photograph collection consists solely of photographic material related to executed works and restoration projects completed by the architect Richard Henry Dana. There are approximately 342 mounted black and white photographs, mostly of residential projects in Connecticut, but also churches, colleges, housing developments, and schools.
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.