7.8 linear ft. (3 document boxes) ; (8 scrapbook boxes).
In the late 1920's the Barnard College Associate Alumnae began raising funds to purchase and donate 10 acres of woodland at Croton-on-Hudson to be used for week-end retreats, barbecues, co-ed picnics and other recreational activities. Known as Barnard Camp, it opened in 1934. In 1938 the Associate Alumnae purchased and donated another 10 acres. Margaret Holland, Professor of physical education and Chair of the department from 1945 until her retirement in 1964, established programs and activities there and became so associated with the Camp that upon her retirement, the lodge building was rededicated and named Holly House in her honor. From the 1930's through the 1950's a one month leadership course was held at the Camp. Camp Barnard was in use as late as 1974.
Reports, minutes, correspondence, handbooks, ledgers, scrapbooks, watercolors, photographs and films documenting activities at Barnard Camp. Also material related to the career and retirement of Professor Margaret Holland including a silver bowl awarded to her in 1964.
Access to material dated 50 years or less prior to current date is restricted.
Photocopies and other reproductions may be purchased at cost.
Barnard Camp/Holly House Records, 1927-1980, Barnard College Archives.