Lever House architectural drawings, 1950-1953.
60 sheets: various media; 81 x 114 cm. (32 x 45 in.)
General architectural sheets are stored in numerical order, Index Sheet followed by A-1 through A-53; followed by Arcade architectural sheets, A-1 through A-3; and one unnumbered furniture sheet.
Collection consists of sixty original architectural and furniture drawings for Lever House in New York City, drawn between 1950 and 1952. Most sheet are graphite on paper, with a smaller group of sepia diazo prints with extensive graphite annotations. All sheets were treated by a paper conservator and are now encapsulated in polyester film.
Biographical / Historical Note
Lever House, one of the major landmarks of International Style architecture, was designed by Gordon Bunshaft, of the the New York office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. Sited along Park Avenue between 53rd and 54th Streets in New York City, the building was completed in 1952. Weiskoff & Pickworth were the structural engineers and Jaros Baum & Bolles were the mechanical engineers.
This collection is available for use by qualified readers by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Permission to publish must be obtained in writing from the Director, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, 1172 Amsterdam Ave., MC 0301, New York, NY 10027.
In 1980, Lever House was awarded the 25-Year Award by the American Institute of Architects, prompting the donation of these drawings to Columbia University.
Lever House architectural drawings, 1950-1953. Located in Columbia University, Avery Archiectural & Fine Arts Library, Department of Drawings & Archives.