2.5 linear feet and 10 drawings (in 2 paige boxes, 1 oversize box, 2 oversize folders, and 3 rolls)
The collection is made up of Katherine C. Moore's research files on the careers of Trowbridge and Livingston. The files include Moore's notes, clippings, and sometimes photographs of the buildings designed by the firm. Projects that have photographs include, among others, Bankers Trust Company Building, the Banking House for J.P. Morgan & Co., Chemical National Bank, Empire City Savings Bank, Bank of America (Wall Street), Equitable Trust Building, Gulf Refining Building (Pittsburg, PA), Mellon National Bank (Pittsburg, PA), Nagoya Branch of the Mitsui Bank (Tokyo, Japan), Red Cross Memorial to the Women of the Civil War, and the John B. Trevor Residence (11 East 91st Street, NYC). The collection also includes certificates and diplomas of Goodhue Livingston, as well as a 1994 certificate of commendation from BELCA (Building and Equipment Life Cycle Association) for the Mitsui Bank in Tokyo, Japan; an issue of "The Architects and their Works" (Vol. 1, No. 4) on Trowbridge & Livingston dated 7 Nov 1908; and 10 architectural drawings for the Residence of Orme Wilson, Jr. Esq. on 11 East 64th Street (New York, NY).
Biographical / Historical Note
The New York architectural firm of Trowbridge and Livingston, active in the first decades of the twentieth century, is best known for such buildings as the Saint Regis Hotel (1901-1904), the B. Altman and Company Department Store (1905-1914), the J.P. Morgan and Company Bank (1913-1914), and the Hayden Planetarium (1934-1935), all in New York City. Founded in 1894 as Trowbridge, Colt, and Livingston, the partners were Samuel Breck Parkman Trowbridge (1862-1925), Stockton B. Colt (1863-1937), and Goodhue Livingston (1865-1951). All graduated from Columbia College's School of Mines in New York and had started their careers in the offices of George B. Post.
Goodhue Livingston's granddaughter, Katherine C. Moore is a scholar of Trowbridge and Livingston and has written the "Trowbridge & Livingston" entry in the Macmillan Encyclopedia of Architects published by The Free Press in 1982.
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.